DATA PRIVACY NOTICE
Midea Home Appliances Australia Pty. Ltd. (The “Company”, “we”, “us”)
When you use the services provided by us, we will collect, use and share your personal information in accordance with this Data Privacy Notice. This Data Privacy Notice includes information about how we collect, store, use, share and protect your personal information. We suggest that you read the Data Privacy Notice completely to help you understand how to protect your privacy. You can contact us through the contact information provided by us, if you are ever in any doubt about the Data Privacy Notice.
1. Our Collecting Information
1.1 Your personal information – what is it?
Personal information means information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is identifiable, whether true or not and whether recorded in a material form or not.
1.2 When do we collect personal information about you?
We will collect personal information about you when you:
- register to use our online services (each time you log in or each time you use them);
- use our services and products; or
- contact us.
1.3 Our collection of personal information
The personal information we collect includes any personal information you provide to us when you enter into contract with us, register an account with us, enter on our website, provide us information on a web form, update or add information to your account, or give us in any other way. In the usual course of our business activities, we collect the following personal information from you:
- contact information (e.g. name, home address, email address and contact number);
- demographic information, including date of birth, age, gender, interests, and household or lifestyle information;
- payment information, including credit card number, expiration date and billing address;
- account login information, including any information that is required for you to establish a user account with us (e.g. login ID/email, user name and password);
- consumer feedback, including information that you share with us about your experience in using our products and services (e.g. your comments and suggestions, testimonials and other feedback related to products); and
- consumer-generated content, including any content (e.g. photos, videos and personal stories) that you create and then share with us (and perhaps others) by uploading it to our website.
You can choose not to provide personal information to us, but we may then not be able to provide certain services to you.
We use the personal information that you provide for purposes such as communicating with you, responding to your requests, customising your service experience with us, and improving our products and services.
2. How do we process your personal information?
We keep personal information up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by collecting and retaining only the personal information that is necessary that we need to service you; by protecting personal information from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal information.
We use your personal information for the following purposes:
- to deliver our services to you under our contract with you;
- to provide other services requested by you as described when we collect the information;
- to send you promotional and marketing communications;
- to share your contact details with our affiliate offices around the world within our group companies, for the purposes of internal administration and back-office support;
- to maintain the integrity and safety of our data technology systems which store and process your personal information;
- to enforce or defend our policies or contract with you; and
- to detect and investigate data breaches, illegal activities, and fraud.
You are not under any obligation to provide us any personal information. As noted below, the choice is yours. However, please note that without certain data from you, we may not able to undertake some or all of our obligations to you under our contract with you, or provide you with our full range of services. If you would like to obtain more detail about this, please contact us following the instructions in the contact us section below.
Your personal information will be treated as strictly confidential, and will be shared only with the categories of recipients listed below. We will only share your personal information with third parties with your consent, and you will have an opportunity to choose for us not to share your personal information.
We may disclose your personal information to:
- our affiliated entities within our global group of companies worldwide to provide you services such as facilitating order processing and shipping, for internal administration purposes, to detect and deal with data breaches, illegal activities, and fraud, and to maintain the integrity of our information technology systems;
- government, courts, or law enforcement agencies, to comply with our obligations under relevant laws and regulations, enforce or defend our policies or contract with you, respond to claims, or in response to a verified request relating to a government or criminal investigation or suspected fraud or illegal activity that may expose us, you, or any other of our customers to legal liability; and
- third parties involved in a legal proceeding, if they provide us with a court order or substantially similar legal procedure requiring us to do so.
We keep your personal information for no longer than reasonably necessary for the purpose for which your personal information is processed. If you will provide us, or have provided us, consent for us to process your personal information, we will process your personal information for no longer than your consent is effective. Notwithstanding the above, we may retain your personal information as required by laws and regulations, as necessary to assist with any government and judicial investigations, to initiate or defend legal claims or for the purpose of civil, criminal or administrative proceedings. If none of the above grounds for us to keep your personal information apply, we will delete and dispose of your personal information in a secure manner according to our data protection policy.
Our products and services are not targeted to persons under the age of 16. We do not knowingly collect or process personal information from persons under the age of 16. Please note that if you are under the age of 16, you will need to provide us a written signed consent from your parent or guardian indicating that your parent or guardian has consented for us to process your personal information. Such consent form can be found by contacting our data protection officer (contact details below).
You have the following rights with respect to your personal information:
- the right to request access to the personal information we hold about you; and
- the right to request that we correct any personal information we hold about you if it is found to be inaccurate or out of
If you would like to exercise any of the above rights, please do so through email to contact us (contact details below). After receiving your request, we will evaluate your request and inform you how we intend to proceed on your request. Under certain circumstances in accordance with related laws and regulations, we may withhold access to or correction of your personal information.
As a global company, we need to transmit your personal information to our related entities in other countries (including China), for the reasons set out above.
In making international data transfers, we make sure to protect your personal information by ensuring that the recipient treats your personal information in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles.
If we wish to use your personal information for a new purpose not covered by this Data Privacy Notice, then we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing such further processing for a new purpose, setting out the relevant new purpose and processing conditions. In such case, we will find a lawful basis for further processing, and whenever necessary we will seek your prior written consent to such further processing.
We protect your personal information using technical measures to minimise the risks of misuse, unauthorised access, unauthorised disclosure, and loss of access. Some of the safeguards we use are data pseudonymisation, data encryption, firewalls, and data access authorisation controls. We take our data security very seriously. Therefore the security mechanisms used to protect your personal information are checked and updated regularly to provide effective protection against abuse.
If you believe that the security of your personal information has been compromised, or if you like more information on the measures we use to protect your personal information, please contact us following the instructions in the Contact Us section below.
If you have any question about this Data Privacy Notice, or if you would like to exercise any of your rights, or if you have any complaints that you would like to discuss with us, please submit a request to our data protection officer at MideaDPO@midea.com.
We will review and investigate your complaint and respond as soon as practicable. If you are not satisfied with our response, you may complain to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (www.oaic.gov.au).